Sunday 1 January 2012

Occasions where I've nearly met Seb Coe



2012 sees the beginning of 'Seb's Year' when the Olympiad (Olympics) comes to London. It also marks the 12th year of my very-nearly-fruitful quest to meet and chat with the Seb-ster himself.

I thought I'd take out some time to jot down a few moments where I've very nearly had a great time with Lord Seb Coe;

29th March, 2000
'Fandango' - Private Dining Club, Amersham

In the early naughties, myself, Dean Headley and TV's Matt Lorenzo formed something of an 'Amersham Rat Pack'. We were young, successful, well-groomed and hungry for life. Every Friday night we'd pick ourselves up off the floor (we also had many drinks on Thursday you see) and head to 'Fandango' - the hottest new eatery in Amersham.

I was compus mentis enough to realise that my boyhood and life-hood hero Sebastian Coe was at the next table - not only that but I spied Lord Coe had wisely opted for a gammon main, just like me. This offered just the intro-nugget I needed to start up a conversation with him. Sadly, Matt made an ill-judged and audible remark about a local mullah who was in the news and we had to make a swift exit.


14th June, 2003
Raspberry Gatorade Lauch Party

The launch of Raspberry Gatorade brought together the creme de la creme from the world's of UK sport and isotonic fluids. As a young cricketer with a keen interest in both, I was delighted to attend. Again I spied Coe through the raspberry coloured curtains that separated the riff-raff from the VIP section.

Sadly, due to a mix up with my invite and (incorrect) confusion about which areas of the event it got me access to, I was unable to mingle with Lord Seb Coe.


15th June 2003
Seb Coe's House

Slightly miffed at the Gatorade mix up the night before and knowing Lord Seb Coe lived just a short 40-mile jog away in Horsham, I decided to work in a quick trip to his house into one of my training runs.

He wasn't in. Apparently.


31st December 2007
Jeremy Beens' New Year's Eve Party

The second half of the 2007 saw the development of Trudie's now sadly-defunct savoury cheesecake business. We decided to host a gala launch party on New Year's Eve to see in 2008 - the year we all hoped would be the year of savoury cheesecake.

Trudie kept the guest list pretty lean - just her life coach, his partner and their dachsund Josh. But I was allowed to extend the cheesecake festive invites to Lord and Lady Seb Coe. Sadly they were unable to reply due to time pressures.

No comments:

Post a Comment